Today, after a national poll conducted by BBC Radio Two, Ultravox have received a honorary number one for their 1981 single Vienna.The poll was conducted to find the greatest number two, that should have been a number one and featured tracks such as Strawberry Fields, Wonderwall, Hound Dog.
A true electropop classic that will have undoubtedly inspired may of the artists we listen to today, Vienna is a well deserving winner.
The final placing was as follows, with the song that was number one in brackets:
1. Ultravox - Vienna, 1981 (Shaddup You Face - Joe Dolce)
2. The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale Of New York, 1987 (Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys)
3. Don McLean - American Pie, 1972 (Son Of My Father - Chicory Tip, Without You - Nilsson)
4. James - Sit Down, 1991 (The One And Only - Chesney Hawkes)
5. The Stranglers - Golden Brown, 1982 (Town Called Malice - The Jam)
6. The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset, 1967 (Silence Is Golden, The Tremeloes)
7. The Beatles - Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever, 1967 (Release Me, Engelbert Humperdinck) 8. Queen - We Are The Champions, 1977 (The Name Of The Game - Abba, Mull Of Kintyre/Girls' School - Wings)
9. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows, 1966 (Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles)
10. A-ha - Take On Me, 1985 (The Power Of Love, Jennifer Rush)